The Health of Diverse Populations RIG (HDPRIG) provides an opportunity for nurses engaged in research, practice, policy development, administration, education, and theory development in the rapidly expanding focal areas of cultural diversity and marginalized populations to come together for scholarly exchange. The focal areas of interest include an emphasis on race, ethnicity, health disparities, gender, socioeconomic class, spiritual preferences, immigration, international nursing, and/or how cultural influences impact the provision of health care.
The HDPRIG provides forums enabling interdisciplinary collaboration through a variety of mechanisms, including online networking and an annual conference, to produce and disseminate reports of research that is in progress or has been completed. The HDPRS seeks to improve knowledge and health through research discoveries that are translated into practical applications.
Who Should Join?
Any MNRS members interested in networking and collaborating with other researchers engaged in research focusing on the health of diverse populations.
Meet the RIG Leadership
Kathy Wright, PhD, RN, GCNS-BC, PMHCNS-BC Assistant Professor, Chief Diversity Officer,
Timiya Nolan, PhD, ANP-BC
Co – Chair Elect
Karen O. Moss, PhD, RN, CNL
Co – Chair Elect
Jane von Gaudecker, PhD, RN, CNS
Natalya Rosenberg, PhD
Carolyn Harmon-Still, PhD, MSM, AGPCNP-BC, CCRP
2018-2019 RIG Awards
The Health of Diverse Populations RIG is proud to announce the following award opportunities to the RIG membership:
- Mid-Career Award
- New Investigator Award
- Outstanding Partnership Award
- Senior Investigator Award
Nominations are now closed. Winner will be announced at the 43rd Annual Research Conference in Kansas City, MO. Please plan to join us for the full conference and the Health of Diverse Populations RIG meeting.
3 Year Goals
- Submit a proposal to host a Competitive Research Symposium at the annual conference
- Host a Guaranteed Research Symposium at the 2019 annual conference
- Submit a proposal for a pre-conference workshop for the 2020 annual conference
- Distribute RIG-specific information and member highlights quarterly via the newsletter
- Facilitate HDPRIG member collaboration and mentorship via a Google document
Overall/Long Term Goals
- Establish an HDPRIG newsletter
- Establish a Box folder for HDPRIG members
- Establish working groups to meet HDPRIG goals
- Create and disseminate a MNRS diversity statement
- Develop a white paper on cultural competency best practices
RIG Minutes/Meeting Summary
If you are interested in learning more about the Health of Diverse Populations RIG, please explore the minutes from the past meetings:
Health of Diverse Population RIG minutes from the 2018 Annual Research Conference.
Health of Diverse Population RIG minutes from the 2017 Annual Research Conference.
Health of Diverse Population RIG minutes from the 2016 Annual Research Conference.