The Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG is dedicated to the advancement of Gerontological nursing science and care of older adults through research. Members include researchers, clinicians, educators, and students with diverse backgrounds in aging-related care and practice issues.
- Serve to connect MNRS members with an interest in Gerontological nursing throughout the year
- Recognize member’s contributions to Gerontological nursing science through awards and dissemination of research highlights
- Increase student involvement in the section through leadership and taskforce involvement
- Provide an opportunity for section members to become involved with, contribute to and provide leadership within MNRS
Who Should Join?
Membership in this RIIG is open to all MNRS members who are interested in advancing the science of Gerontology through research, collaborative work to address issues of aging and promoting outcomes that result from the research being conducted.
Groupsite Community Networking Platform: https://mnrs.groupsite.com/
Meet the RIIG Leadership
Lisa Bailey, BSN, RN
Melissa Harris, BSN, RN
Debra Jansen, PhD, RN
2022 RIIG Call for Symposia
The Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG is proud to announce the following Calls for Abstracts for the 2022 Annual Research Conference in Schaumburg, IL, March 30 – April 2, 2022:
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG: COVID-19 and the Older Adult Population
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG: Optimizing Interventions for Older Adults
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG: Experiences and Challenges of Caregivers for Persons with Dementia
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG: Diverse Methodologies in Research with Older Adults
Gerontological Nursing Science and Health Systems, Policy, & Informatics RIIGs: Silver Linings of COVID-19’s Impact on Telehealth
Please be sure to visit the RIIG Groupsite discussion board to ask questions or seek guidance from the RIIG Chair/RIIG Symposia Committee.
All abstracts should be submitted directly to the email listed in the Call for Abstracts linked above.
Opens: June 28, 2021
Closes: July 23, 2021
2020-2021 RIIG Awards
Overall/Long Term Goals
- Continue to support student engagement and mentorship in the GRIG through opportunities to participate in abstract/award application reviews, informal virtual gatherings for students/postdoc GRIG members, etc.
- Continue building membership and refining communications to foster gerontology relationships, synergy and interconnections with NHCGNE and gerontological nursing science RIGs at other regional nursing research societies.
- Expand leadership team- Leader Emeriti: Carol Rogers, Marianne Smith, Lisa Skemp, Kim Oosterhouse, Olimpia Paun; Committee chairs:
- Communications: Marcia Shade, Pei-Shiun Chang;
- Awards: Debra Jansen;
- Nominations: Eleanor Rivera;
- Student Co-Chairs: Shandra Burton, Florence Johnson
Submit at least one competitive symposium.
Prepare for future symposia development.
Determine readiness to submit a pre-conference workshop.
Submit a guaranteed symposium.
Submit a least one competitive symposium.
Prepare and host webinar for membership.
RIIG Minutes/Meeting Summary
If you are interested in learning more about the Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG, please explore the minutes from the past meetings:
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG Annual Report from the 2021 Annual Research Conference
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG Annual Report from the 2020 Annual Research Conference
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG Annual Report from the 2019 Annual Research Conference
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG minutes from the 2018 Annual Research Conference
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG minutes from the 2017 Annual Research Conference
Gerontological Nursing Science RIIG minutes from the 2016 Annual Research Conference